Thursday, March 12, 2015

RHYMING With Green Eggs & Ham

Say!
I like green eggs and ham!
I do!  I like them, Sam-I-am!




Research shows rhyme is powerful, and even essential to learning!  I think Dr. Seuss was brilliant when he wrote his books.  As children are introduced to rhymes at a very young age they may not be aware of the correct terms in the rhyme, but they find the rhymes enjoyable and fun!  As the child progresses into reading, the books that use simple rhymes are a perfect place for a child to feel successful and improve their skills.  Repetition and rhyme give way to rhythm, recognition and memorization, all of which have a HUGE impact on children learning to read.

St. Patricks Day is now 4 DAYS AWAY!  My kids have been looking forward to the silliness of that day for weeks.  One book that I suggest in my Number Neighborhood Activity Book under number 14's Green Day theme is:

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss


{I absolutely LOVE this book}


We pulled off a little green eggs and ham on the home front today.  



The kids had a blast helping me!  I like to make green eggs and ham for my preschool class on St. Patty's day.  I found a little eggs-tremely tasty recipe to follow HERE.  OR you can follow our 6 easy picture instructions below.

Step one: 

Notice all my little helping hands!  Oops!  I see a some on the counter there.  It's okay, we're just learning how to crack eggs. ;)

Step two:

Stir away little one.

Step three:

Even a little butter in the pan.  I feel like I'm on the Food Network!

Step four:

Lookin good guys!

Step five:

At this point you may wonder if this is edible.  

Step Six:

It was like I was giving them birthday cake!

We had a blast making something AND reading together!  You can easily tie Green Eggs and Ham into more of your E week activities.  Dr. Seuss's book Horton Hears a Who is about the cutest Elephant book around.  I found this craft a while ago from Catholic Icing  and I want to use it this year!



Another Egg-stremly cool rhyme for E Day is 

Willoughby, Wallaby Woo

Willoughby, Wallaby Wee
An elephant sat on me.
Willoughby, Wallaby Woo
An elephant sat on you!

(continue with pattern using words that rhyme with each child's name)

Willoughby, Wallaby (Wuzzie)
An elephant sat on (Suzzie)
Willoughby, Wallaby (Wed)
An elephant sat on (Ted)!

We just giggle with this cute little thing!  I think that is egg-sactly all I have for today.  Link up to me on my other social media sites and share what good ideas you are using too!

Facebook
Pinterest
Google+



No comments:

Post a Comment