Thursday, October 9, 2014

Playing With Textures

A friend of mine told me about THESE and I have been obsessed ever since!



They are called "Textured Rubbing Plates" from Lakeshore.  I have found that they are an easy go-to teaching tool.  Are you ready to enhance a simple activity from my Amazing Action Alphabet Activity Book?  I thought so!

Gather a few supplies and try out your textures. 


 Some reminded us of different animals...this one looked like a giraffe leaped onto our page!


Today I thought we would give S the snake some texture.


Then I was informed that S the Snake needed some SAND to SLITHER on.


A little more to finish him off...


Super fun activity, and a great way to talk about other things that have texture...  

Sandpaper from Delightful Learning...


Aluminum foil from Teach Preschool...


Popcorn from Happy Hooligans...


There is texture all around us.  Many kids learn best when FEELING something, and then they associate what they feel to what they are learning.

Seeing + Hearing + DOING = Learning

{find more Amazing Action Alphabet teaching tools}


If you are loving this idea, but not ready for these texture plates maybe you could try this idea form Freshly Planted...


Please let me know how I can help you find SUCCESS in using the Amazing Action Alphabet teaching tools, & Happy textures everyone!   
















2 comments:

  1. Textures are a great sensory tool! I have a small swimming pool in my classroom filled with corn (whole and dried from a local feed store). The children love sitting in the "corn pool" and feeling the corn on their feet and hands as they pour and play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun idea! I can just imagine my kids playing in that for hours. :)

      Delete